The name “Candoro” is a combination of the first letters of each cofounder’s last name. John J. Craig III, grandson of the company’s founder, and three other investors— F.C. Anderson, W.J. Donaldson, and S.A. Rodgers— Around the turn of the 20th Century, the East Tennessee region was one of the largest marble producers in the world. The John J. Craig Company operated several quarries in the vicinity of Knoxville, TN. Candoro Marble was needed as showroom and a place to cut and polish the marble. Candoro Marble Company’s showroom, office, and grounds and buildings were completed in 1923.